Hello sweet family & friends,
I wanted to share some fun pictures with you! This past weekend we took Mom on her first mini "vacay" since the surgery. It felt good to get away, but we stayed pretty close to home in case anything happened {as you know, I'm a worrier!} Galveston is about 1.5 hours from Kingwood and only 45 from the Medical Center, so we were close!
It was a short trip, just a one night stay at the San Luis, but it was perfect! I was so stressed out about taking Mom to a hotel and making sure everything was "handicap accessible" for her. I wanted it to be a stress free trip for her and Dad and it was! Amen!! They had a special handicap room that overlooked the beach and it was very nice for them!
I think I may have a new hobby... I want to become a hotel and restaurant critic for people in wheelchairs!! When your life is turned upside down and you're suddenly stuck in a wheelchair, getting around your own house is not an easy task, imagine getting around in public - in places you are not familiar with - IT'S STRESSFUL! I want to help our sweet friends and make life just a little bit easier for them!
Over the last 7 months, I have constantly been reminded that people are good, really GOOD! Strangers always jump to help out when they see us out and about with Mom. Sometimes it's carrying a bag, or holding a door, offering tips because we are obviously very new at this, whatever it may be - IT HELPS! Thank you, strangers!
Enjoy these pictures and please let me know if you know any great ADA compliant restaurants or hotels around the Houston area, I would love to check them out and start my new list!
Love, Rachel








That's so great that you took your Mom on a vacay! What a nice break from the regular scenery. She looks happy. I hope you all continue to make nice memories with her. I know everything is difficult now, but it's worth it. You are such an amazing family. Love you all more than you know! Kisses and hugs to you Aunt Cathy. You are always on my mind. xo Melissa
ReplyDeleteI was so happy to get the blog! Cathy looks wonderful! Her smile is a great statement to all that she has survived. You all look great. What a terrific family. Keep us in the loop.
ReplyDeleteLove and continued prayers,ME
Loved the update. How wonderful to see the pictures of Cathy smiling! I too know how hard it is to get someone around as Jack uses a walker all the time and sometimes a wheelchair and yor are right, people open doors and offer to help. We are so blessed with wonderful family, friends and neighbors. It is not easy as Jack has a hard time understanding what we are telling him to do and even the use of the walker he is having a hard time with. So sad to see him slipping away. Keep us in your prayers.
ReplyDeleteLove to all,
Aunt Judy
This was such a wonderful blog to see and read. What a nice little get-a-way for your family.
ReplyDeleteYour mom and dad look terrific.....nice and relaxed! Love seeing that. Your beautiful little
boy is just adorable. You are a very lucky family. Thanks for putting a smile on my face today.
Love you,
Aunt Betsy